• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Zurers in Italy 2024

Zurers in Italy 2024: Monday, May 13
Day 15: Rome​

I am afraid to jinx us but it is another sunny, warm morning...we have been very fortunate with the weather since the first few days of our trip. After an okay breakfast, which is served in our room, we get in the car to begin our adventure of driving in Rome.

First stop is the Giancolo above Trastevere, one of Rome's hills that has parks and fabulous views over the city.

IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5978.jpeg

IMG_5979.jpeg

We pass grand houses, an impressive fountain (Acqua Paola), and an ever-present statue of Garibaldi.

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

IMG_5982.jpeg

After a brief stop back at the hotel (I am finding the driving quite enjoyable), we next go to the Fascist era section of Rome called EUR. Built under Mussolini for a planned international fair, it has a lot of Rationalist architecture, large parks, and planned communities. The most famous landmark is the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana, also known as the "square Colosseum". We have never actually been to EUR in all our years and I am glad that we finally have the chance to see the neighborhood up close.

IMG_5983.jpeg

Another modern landmark is the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul built in 1955.

IMG_5984.jpeg

We drive around the area through rows of attractive apartment blocks, big parks with lakes and waterfalls, and a thriving business district.

We next head across the city looking for the Parco degli Acquedotti, one of the large parks south of the city with many Roman remains, including the Appian Way. The drive takes us through parts of Rome we never visited before...much of it countryside inside the city limits. We have some difficulty finding the park but we happily find a porchetta truck parked on the side of Via Appia Nuova.

The owners are extremely welcoming and kind...wiping off the picnic table and making sure we are comfortable. The sandwiches hit the spot...I have been waiting for one the whole trip.

IMG_5985.jpeg

We get back on track and arrive at the park without further trouble. The park is a large open field with the remnants of two of the older aqueducts in its middle. The larger of the two was built in the 2nd century B.C. and was still being used in the 16th century.

IMG_5986.jpeg

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg

There are people jogging, biking, lying on the grass in the sun, and hanging out around a turtle filled pond...it is very quiet and peaceful.

IMG_5989.jpeg

There is even a golf course right next to the aqueduct.

IMG_5990.jpeg

We drive back to the hotel and I set out on another exploration of the neighborhood while Diana goes to the roof to quilt. On my walk, I cross two quite different bridges

IMG_5991.jpeg

IMG_5992.jpeg

and see some more impressive street art on the sides of buildings

IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_5994.jpeg

In the late afternoon, we hop back in the car to go to the center and walk around the neighborhood of the Campo de' Fiori where we often stayed. Again, the driving is easy and we find a metered spot on the nearby Lungotevere. We walk through familiar territory...the beautiful Via Giulia and the Campo.

IMG_5995.jpeg

IMG_5996.jpeg

We stop for an aperitivo at one of the cafes in the Campo and are surprised that two glasses of prosecco don't come with the usual snacks. The area is mobbed with tourists and we are glad to be staying in a different part of the city on this trip.

It's sad walking past the site of the hotel where we stayed for many years--the Hotel Teatro di Pompeo--which is now closed.

IMG_5997.jpeg

No dinner for Diana tonight...the porchetta sandwich was too much--but I slip out for a slice of pizza and a gelato.

Tomorrow we will go to the Museo Centrale Montemartini...a decommissioned power plant now a sculpture museum - which we visited and liked very much, many years ago.

Jim and Diana

Zurers in Italy 2024: Monday, May 6​

Day 8: Brescia​

The forecast for our last day in Brescia is not promising....overcast with periods of rain. I have made a trip planner mistake....having us in Brescia on a Monday when all the museums are closed. After breakfast, Diana and I walk over to the nearby piazza and visit the two cathedrals. We make arrangements to meet Ulf at "our bar" when we finish.

The Duomo Vecchio is built in a circular style and dates back to the 11th century. According to Wikipedia, " it (is) one of the most important examples of rotunda in Italy, as well as one of the most significant examples of Lombard Romanesque architecture."

View attachment 44588

The interior of the Duomo Vecchio is one the most unique and appealing that we have visited over the years. The circular plan gives the space a sense of openness and serenity.

View attachment 44589

View attachment 44590

View attachment 44591

There are a couple of striking domes -

View attachment 44592

View attachment 44593

an impressive organ with painted side panels -

View attachment 44594

some perspectives that remind me of Piranesi drawings -

View attachment 44595

View attachment 44596

some early floor mosaics -

View attachment 44597

View attachment 44598

and a crypt.

View attachment 44599

The "new" Duomo built in the 17th century pales by comparison, though Diana thought it was quite beautiful and impressive. It is bright, not overly decorated, and has the third highest dome in Italy.

View attachment 44600

View attachment 44601

View attachment 44602

View attachment 44603

We meet Ulf for coffee in "our bar" and decide to visit Lake Garda, about a half hour to the east. It's not a very scenic drive but, at the lake, we take the road north from Desenzano del Garda looking for an appropriate place to stop for a coffee. We luck out at Padenghe sul Garda where we find a large parking lot above a beach area with bars and restaurants right on the water. It's a quiet spot with beach facilities and a walking path along the lake.

View attachment 44604

View attachment 44605

View attachment 44606

View attachment 44607

It's now time to think about lunch. I have identified a place in the hills just above Brescia and we take the quick drive back to town. The very attractive restaurant--Nuovo Nando--is pretty full at 2 pm but we get a table and have one of the best meals of the trip, so far.

View attachment 44608
From the Nuovo Nando web site

Diana and I share a plate of excellent beef tartare. Ulf and Diana have risotto with asparagus and robiola cheese--rich but delicious--and I have the local version of ravioli--casoncelli--filled with meat and covered with butter. It is probably the best version of ravioli I have ever tasted..amazing. (Diana and Ulf agree.) We also enjoy a bottle of the local white wine--Laguna--which is also terrific. And the staff is very pleasant....we would be happy to return here anytime.

Back in Brescia, I explore another part of town and find a few more gates (some open) for my collection.

View attachment 44609

View attachment 44610

View attachment 44611

And I am surprised to find a Romanian restaurant in the international section of Brescia.

View attachment 44612

and of course, Garibaldi makes an appearance.

View attachment 44613

No dinner tonight again...but we meet Ulf at "our bar" for our last get together. He heads back to Sweden tomorrow and we leave for Tuscany. It's been a great reunion and we look forward to more meetings in the future. We also say goodbye to our friends at Bistro Duomo...it's been a treat getting to know them.

View attachment 44614

View attachment 44615

Jim and Diana
Your photos are really wonderful, Jim - I'm enjoying your trip very much!

Zurers in Italy 2024: Tuesday, May 14​

Day 16: Rome​

Today is Diana's birthday....she regularly celebrates it in Italy. And it's another beautiful day....

As we are walking out the door, her birthday flowers from the family arrive....beautiful as always. And there's also something from a bakery - which we'll bring for dessert at tonight's birthday dinner.

IMG_5998.jpeg

Our first stop of the day is the Museo Centrale Montemartini, the decommissioned power plant that now houses a collection of Roman sculptures and mosaics. There is a special exhibit called Uninhabitable Architecture, which intends "to explore the charm and complexity of some uninhabitable architecture in Italy, the exhibition illustrates eight examples distributed throughout the national territory through a choice of images that portray them by type, intended use and period of construction." Since we had visited four of the locations, and are staying adjacent to one of them, we were especially interested in the show.

https://www.centralemontemartini.org/it/mostra-evento/architetture-inabitabili

The museum itself is a stunner....old Roman statues are interspersed with the massive generators, turbines, and piping of the power plant, to great effect.

IMG_5999.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

IMG_6002.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_6004.jpeg

and there are lovely mosaics and other sculptures on display as well.

IMG_6005.jpeg

IMG_6006.jpeg

IMG_6007.jpeg

IMG_6008.jpeg

IMG_6009.jpeg

We had visited the museum many years ago and are happy to make a return visit.

One of our annual rituals in Rome is to pay a visit to the Pantheon with its massive dome and oculus, the first century Roman building that is still being used as a church. So we get in the car and head to the center. No luck finding metered parking so we go into the garage on Via Giulia, just outside the limited traffic zone. Before heading to the Pantheon, we have lunch at a favorite place...La Salumeria..which has excellent sandwiches. On our way to lunch, we pass the farmacia where we had our pre-departure negative COVID test in 2022.

IMG_6010.jpeg

When we get to the Piazza della Rotonda, all we can see is a sea of people and construction.

IMG_6011.jpeg

The Pantheon has recently begun charging for admission and there are long lines waiting to buy tickets at electronic kiosks. I find out that if you buy your ticket online, the wait to get in is very short. However, the ticket buying process on my phone proves too challenging....I continually lose the purchase page while trying to access the text with the code from my credit card company. As I get more and more frustrated, even when I successfully satisfy all the demands, the Pantheon ticket office refuses the payment....too many failed attempts. We finally give up and walk to a taxi stand at the Largo Argentina, take a cab back to the parking lot, and return to the hotel. Lesson learned....get tickets for the Pantheon in advance!!!!

I take another walk in the neighborhood and visit the Commonwealth War Cemetery just inside the walls. We have visited other Commonwealth cemeteries in Italy and they are very moving experiences...small and well-kept, with rows of gravestones with names and ages (all very young) of those killed in Italy during World War II.

IMG_6012.jpeg

IMG_6013.jpeg

IMG_6014.jpeg

I then walk around the nearby neighborhood of Testaccio, a very pleasant residential district known for its market and restaurants. Families are sitting in the main piazza and kids are kicking soccer balls and playing....

IMG_6015.jpeg

IMG_6016.jpeg

There is a striking wall mural on a building adjacent to the market.

IMG_6017.jpeg

The old slaughterhouse has been turned into an arts and community service center.

IMG_6018.jpeg

Testaccio is named after the hill in the area--Monte Testaccio. It is also known as Monte di Cocci because the artificial hill was really a landfill dating back to Roman times where broken jugs that were used in transport were tossed after use.

IMG_6019.jpeg

Our friends Maureen and Franco are hosting a birthday dinner for Diana in their apartment near the Colosseum. We drive over and find a legal parking space a few blocks away. The evening is very pleasant and we hear about their recent trip to eastern Turkey. Maureen makes a pasta dish with fresh fava and pecorino and for the second, chicken breasts with tomatoes. For dessert, we have the pastries that came with Diana's birthday flowers.

The drive home is quick and uneventful....I am really enjoying the experience of driving in Rome and we are getting to see so many parts of the city we have never been to before.

Tomorrow, we are going to meet friends and visit the Non-Catholic cemetery located a few blocks away.

Jim and Diana

Zurers in Italy 2024: Wednesday, May 15​

Day 17: Rome​

Guess what...another beautiful morning--sunny and warm. After breakfast, we visit the nearby Non-Catholic Cemetery also known as the Protestant cemetery or the English cemetery. The property, in the shadow of the Pyramid of Cestius

IMG_6020.jpeg

is crowded with graves of many different types in a lush wooded setting.

IMG_6021.jpeg

IMG_6022.jpeg

We meander along the paths and note all the different religions represented. In addition to Protestant graves, there are many Russian Orthodox headstones marked with this distinctive cross.

IMG_6023.jpeg

IMG_6024.jpeg

There are many elaborate monuments

IMG_6025.jpeg

IMG_6026.jpeg

and a sweet one of a young boy sitting cross legged holding a book.

IMG_6027.jpeg

We come across a couple of Jewish gravestones and Diana places stones on top.

IMG_6028.jpeg

There is even one marker for a dog named Romeo.

IMG_6029.jpeg

There are many notables buried in this cemetery...among them the political philosopher Antonio Gramsci

IMG_6030.jpeg

poets Percy Shelley and John Keats...whose inscription mysteriously doesn't mention his name.

IMG_6031.jpeg

We are going to meet our friend Simona--whom we knew for many years when she worked at the Hotel Teatro di Pompeo--for lunch near her work in EUR. We had lost touch with her since the hotel closed and the pandemic but I was able to locate her on the internet using my investigative skills. She is as happy to reconnect with us as we were with her and we have a wonderful reunion. It is so nice to have friends to visit during our Italian travels.

IMG_6032.jpeg

Back in Ostiense, I go out for another walk in a bustling neighborhood across the Tiber but I don't take many pictures. I am startled to see a pack of horses corralled under the Ponte Marconi.

IMG_6033.jpeg

I will have to do some research to find out what this is all about.

This is a different perspective on the Gazometro, through the iron skeletons of two newer but smaller gas storage structures.

IMG_6034.jpeg

We have a date to meet another Italian friend, Letizia Mattiaci, who ran an agriturismo and taught cooking classes near Assisi. She has recently moved to Rome and we meet her at a cafe near her apartment in the Appio-Latina section of Rome. This is another neighborhood that is new to us. We spend a very pleasant hour catching up on our lives and talking about Italy and Italian cooking.

We have dinner back in the neighborhood, at the Trattoria Pennestri. The food is delicious but it takes a long time to get it and the service is haphazard. Diana has an onion and cheese crostata to start and I have a small plate of trippa alla Romana. We split a dish of excellent rigatoni alla gricia (pecorino and guanciale) and I have a couple of glasses of local sangiovese. We do have an interesting conversation with the Chinese couple from Beijing seated at the next table.

It's an enjoyable short walk back to the hotel. Tomorrow is our last day in Rome...plans are uncertain.

Jim and Diana

Zurers in Italy 2024: Thursday, May 16
Day 18: Rome​

Our last day in Rome and the warm and sunny weather streak continues....we have been very lucky with the weather after our first days in Como.

The first stop this morning is the new market in the Testaccio neighborhood. It is a modern, clean complex with underground parking and a mixture of fresh food, restaurants, and stores selling clothes and other goods. The fresh fruit and vegetables, the meat, and the fish stalls are undeniably attractive

PXL_20240516_084337968.jpg

PXL_20240516_084454470.jpg

PXL_20240516_085224404.jpg

but the overall effect of the market seems too commercial for me. I was taken with the cheesemonger who displays Philadelphia (what the Italians call cream cheese) and Kraft Fettine Classiche (good old sliced American cheese.)

PXL_20240516_084653189.jpg

Next, we go to the Quartiere Coppedè, a section of Rome built in the beginning of the 20th century and described by the official Roma tourism site as "a corner of Rome with unexpected and bizarre features, a fantastic mix of Liberty and Art Decò art, with infiltrations of Greek, Gothic, Baroque, and even medieval art." The neighborhood, named for the architect Gino Coppedè, is a long drive from our hotel so we get the chance to drive through even more previously unknown sections of the city. (I am still enjoying the urban driving experience and am finding Rome not as challenging as one might expect. Take it easy, pay attention, mind the motorcycles passing on your right, and follow your GPS....)

We find a legal parking space but my hunt for a Parcometro to buy a parking ticket fails so we take our chances. The Quartiere Coppedè lives up to its reputation; the buildings are a photographer's paradise--the style, the ornamentation, the whole effect is stunning. I will try to pick a representative sample of my pictures to give you some sense of the place.

PXL_20240516_100952629.jpg

PXL_20240516_101024539.jpg

The fountain in the Piazza Mincio is the center of the neighborhood.

PXL_20240516_101537462.jpg

This building is called the Palazzo del Ragno because of the huge spider displayed above the entrance.

PXL_20240516_101628440.jpg

PXL_20240516_101640230.jpg

This fantastical building is called the House of the Fairies because of the mix of different architectural styles and its lack of symmetry.

PXL_20240516_102219952.jpg

It also features some ornaments on the side facade paying homage to Florence.

PXL_20240516_103002273.jpg

PXL_20240516_103021141.jpg

And another building has an intricate entrance of Moorish design.

PXL_20240516_101933851.jpg

It's a pretty amazing attraction that is far off the main tourist route but well worth the effort.

We drive back across town for lunch at the fish restaurant just down the street from the hotel. The waitress is very friendly and we sit at a table on the street. We split a large dish of fritto misto...very delicately fried seafood--small cod, anchovies, shrimp, and calamari....and drink a "quarto" of crisp white wine. The lemon sorbetto is very refreshing as well. A perfect lunch....

I go out for my last walk in the neighborhood and see some stunning bougainvillea on Monte Testaccio

PXL_20240516_152927571.jpg

some more views of the Tiber,

PXL_20240516_153832813.jpg

PXL_20240516_154229859.jpg

and a shot of tourists lined up at the Knights of Malta on the Aventine Hill waiting to see the view of the dome of St. Peter's through the keyhole.

PXL_20240516_160851753.jpg

Knights of Malta keyhole.jpg

From the Knights of Malta website

We have our last dinner in Rome with Maureen, Franco, and their neighbors, at Checchino, a long-standing Roman favorite. Lots of antipasti to start...an assortment of bruschette and small dishes of the "quinto quarto" (the fifth quarter of the cow, mostly organ meat) that Franco and I devour. The traditional Roman pasta dishes are great--cacio e pepe, gricia, carbonara, zuppa di ceci--and we eat a lot.

We say our goodbyes to Maureen and Franco

PXL_20240516_195714327.jpg

and walk back to our car on the quirky country lane that circles Monte Testaccio.

Tomorrow we are off to Todi.

Jim and Diana

That is a fabulous picture of the four of you.

We've explored that Quartiere Coppedè years ago. An interesting neighborhood. It is good to get out of the historic center and see a few other things.

Horses under that bridge a few days ago - did you find out about that?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina